Recipe and styling by Claire Ferrandi
Photograph by Dylan Swart
Move over, wheat-based pastas! We’re loving the health benefits of Happy Earth People’s chickpea and lentil fusilli pastas – they’re made with nothing but 100% chickpeas and lentils respectively, so are fabulously high in protein, low GI and free from all grains, including wheat. Serve with your favourite pasta sauce, preferably loaded with veg, for extra goodness. Available at select health stores and online at happyearthpeople.com, faithful-to-nature.co.za, yuppiechef.com.
Lentil pasta with leeks and shredded Brussels sprouts
Serves 4 Time 30 minutes
- olive oil, to fry
- 4 leeks, rinsed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 300g Brussels sprouts, shredded
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh cream
- 125ml (½ cup) milk
- 25ml (5 tsp) chicken stock granules
- salt and freshly ground black
- pepper, to taste
- squeeze lemon juice
- 250g red lentil pasta
- microherbs, to garnish (optional)
- Parmesan, freshly grated
- Heat a drizzle olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the chopped leeks. Fry, 10 minutes, stirring often, before adding the garlic and cooking, a further 1 minute. Turn upthe heat to high and add the Brussels sprouts. Fry until soft, about 5 minutes. Turn the heat down to low and add the fresh cream, milk and chicken stock granules. Simmer, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste and add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to taste.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook your red lentil pasta according to packaging instructions, 6 – 8 minutes or until al dente, then drain the pasta.
- Toss the cooked lentil pasta through the sauce, taste and season accordingly. Serve in bowls, garnished with microherbs and freshly grated Parmesan.