Written by Melissa Laiin Wellness
I adore herbs. And Sage might just be my favorite.Not only how the smell lingers when I burn it in my home but how deliciously fragrant it is when used in some of my favorite dishes.
And one of the ways I love to use it is paired with some good quality butter (not margarine please). It turns deliciously crispy and when paired with mushrooms and nuts like walnuts or pecan nuts, it makes a delicious pasta dish for a light lunch or dinner.
The pasta I am hooked on is Happy Earth People Chickpea Fusilli which is gluten-free & high in fibre and protein. Since losing my Sage plant to the elements (I have not found my green thumb yet), I usually stock up on fresh Sage from Checkers. The rest of the ingredients are basic, but really be sure to get some grass fed butter from a local farmer or farmer’s market for maximum health benefits. Simply replace it with Vegan Butter to make it Vegan.
Mushroom & Sage Butter Pasta
- 1 cup of Happy Earth People Chickpea Fusilli Pasta
- 1/4 cup of fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup of Mushrooms (I used brown and white) chopped
- 2 tbsp of Butter
- A small handful of pecan nuts or walnuts, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook pasta as per cooking instructions.
- Heat a pan to medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp of the butter, mushrooms and sage.
- Keep stirring until the mushrooms are completely cooked then add salt & pepper to taste.
- When the pasta is almost done, add the nuts to the sage & mushroom mixture and stir.
- Drain the pasta and keep about 1/8 cup of the pasta water on the side. Add the cooked pasta to the mushroom mix, add the last tablespoon of butter or olive oil, stir until it covers all of the pasta.
- Add some of the excess pasta water to make sure it’s not too dry.
- Dish up and season well, add a few sprinkles of nuts or a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Chilli flakes also make this dish pop.
About the author:
Hi I’m Melissa! I am an Integrative Nutrition Health and Wellness Coach dedicated to help you ditch diets, transform your health and find the freedom with food, the energy in your body and vitality in your mind that you’ve always wanted. I was born and raised in South Africa, having always had an optimism about life and I dreamed of being healthy and happy more than anything else! So, I went on a journey of discovery that lasted years.
Years of reading books about the mind-body connection, how to heal not only your body, but your life, books about good nutrition, what our bodies need and why our food & health care systems aren’t designed to help us flourish. As I learned more, I taught and ‘coached’ those around me (whether they wanted to listen or not), sharing all of the amazing insights. All in the effort of finding 1 way of living a healthy, happy life.
But I never found it, because I realized that every body has different needs, and the only person who can change your health, is YOU!
Connect with Melissa on her blog and Instagram page.