Written by Candice Douglas
T’is the season to be braaing. Tralalalalaaa-lala-laahlaah. And with braais, come salads! Which, let’s face it, can get boring without a spot of inspiration.
Here’s one you may find interesting. It’s a pasta-salad-meets-legumes-and-kale, and it ticks boxes like gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy-free. Just add flames and whatever it is you enjoy on the braai and you’re good to go.
Kale Salad with Chickpea Pasta:
For the homemade dressing:
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 to 3 tablespoons juice from pickled chilli jar, optional
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Cook a box of Happy Earth People Chickpea Pasta (6 minutes is all!)
- Wash and chop a bunch of kale leaves.
- Sprinkle salt and squeeze half a lemon over the kale and give it a massage by squeezing bunches of it in your hands for about half a minute. It softens the tough leaves and releases flavour! You can also use olive oil for this if preferred.
- Drain the cooked pasta and in a big salad bowl, toss it with olive oil and salt. Add the kale and your choice of salad foods (like tomato, mushroom, spring onion, coriander, rocket…)
- Top with toasted seeds, add an extra drizzle of olive oil and a good lashing of the salad dressing, and you’re good to go!
About the author:
Candice, creative mom to a preschooler, and owner of The Social Post, plays with her food for a living. She started this particular piece of her adventure working as Marketing Contessa at Pesto Princess. A decade later continues to work with brands who have values which augment her own, helping them delight their customers with creative marketing content. In short, she gets to work with some great products and support lovely brands. She is a photographer, writer, food stylist, recipe developer, and copy editor.
Follow her on Instagram for more delicious recipe ideas!