Written by Candice Douglas
T’is the season to be braaing. Tralalalalaaa-lala-laahlaah. And with braais, come salads! Which, let’s face it, can get boring without a spot of inspiration.
Here’s one you may find interesting. It’s a pasta-salad-meets-legumes-and-kale, and it ticks boxes like gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy-free. Just add flames and whatever it is you enjoy on the braai and you’re good to go.
Kale Salad with Chickpea Pasta:
For the homemade dressing:
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 to 3 tablespoons juice from pickled chilli jar, optional
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Cook a box of Happy Earth People Chickpea Pasta (6 minutes is all!)
- Wash and chop a bunch of kale leaves.
- Sprinkle salt and squeeze half a lemon over the kale and give it a massage by squeezing bunches of it in your hands for about half a minute. It softens the tough leaves and releases flavour! You can also use olive oil for this if preferred.
- Drain the cooked pasta and in a big salad bowl, toss it with olive oil and salt. Add the kale and your choice of salad foods (like tomato, mushroom, spring onion, coriander, rocket…)
- Top with toasted seeds, add an extra drizzle of olive oil and a good lashing of the salad dressing, and you’re good to go!