What better way to bond with mom than in the kitchen? This lentil and barley bolognese is a hearty and flavourful dish that is easy to toss together, it also just so happens to be vegan. Bursting with flavour and chock-full of vegetables, for one very satisfying meal. Perfect to warm up a chilly winters day.
Lentil & Barley Bolognese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 125g brown mushrooms
- 1 ½tbsp tomato paste
- 1 x 400g tin crushed tomatoes
- 1tbsp soya sauce
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 40ml walnuts, crushed finely
- ½ cup lentils
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 400g Happy Earth People Red Lentil Pasta
- Nutritional yeast
- Cook the lentils and barley in 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 – 25 minutes until soft.
- Add olive oil into a large pot and sauté the onion on medium-high heat until the onion becomes soft and translucent, about 2min.
- Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add the carrots and mushrooms and cook for 12min, stirring frequently – closing the lid of the pot.
- Add the thyme, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for 1min.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 2min, stirring frequently until dark in colour.
- Pour in the stock and add in the soya sauce, lentil and barley mixture, walnuts, and crushed tomatoes and simmer for 20-25min or until the lentil and barley mixture is soft but still al dente and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- While the Bolognese is cooking boil the pasta until al dente and drain.
- Top pasta with Bolognese and sprinkle with nutritional yeast.
About the authors:
Hi! We are Zané and Lara Rossouw, a mother and daughter duo from Stellenbosch with a passion for all things active and creating healthy, wholesome, plant-based recipes. We are both serious runners and therefore love fuelling our runs with superfoods. We started our plant-based food journey, feeling so inspired to share lots of healthy plant-based recipes, both sweet and savoury, perfect for fuelling an active lifestyle.
For more delicious plant-powered recipes like these visit Real Food Runners on Instagram.