By Ursula Botha
If you’re a protein lover as I am, you might be wondering how you could get your protein fix on a Meat Free Monday. Here’s the answer: legumes and nuts.
Even a better answer would be LEGUME PASTA. Yes, pasta that is made 100% out of legumes. Nothing else. A totally transparent product with no hidden additives or sugars! This is heavenly news to someone like me who is gluten and grain-free plus for those of you who are trying to include more plant-based recipes into your lifestyle (because not everyone is able to go fully vegan).
I discovered Happy Earth People pasta a year ago in a health store. The sales lady was so excited when I asked her about it. She said, “It’s magnificent to eat a whole bowl of pasta while in fact you’re just having yummy legumes. No guilt babe”. Ever since that day it’s been my happy taste bud spot. And she was right – no guilt babes! The shop assistant was obviously referring to ‘carb calories’ but it goes even further than that. Here is an earth-friendly product made with love in order to lessen the carbon footprint AND supply your body with plenty of nutrients. Basically a happy earth and happy body synergy for you right there!
What I love about Happy Earth People pasta is that it tastes JUST LIKE REAL PASTA! I repeat – it tastes like the real deal. This is causing me to dream up new and healthy recipes for pasta dishes. The happy obsession is in full force and I’m so excited to share the journey with you! Let’s get Happy! Let’s get Italian!
Simple Italian Pasta
For the sauce:
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 6 large courgettes, chopped
- 2 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tsp cashew nut butter
- 1tsp Nutritional Yeast (for sprinkling)
For the pasta:
- Happy Earth People Pasta
- ½ cup per person
- Boil a little bit of water in a pan and add the chopped onion.
- After about 5 minutes add the chopped red peppers and courgette.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the cashew nut butter.
- Allow to simmer for 25 minutes.
- About 8 minutes before the veggies are ready, cook the pasta according to packet instructions.
- Place the cashew nut butter and 100 ml water into the blitzer to make a nut milk.
- Combine the nut milk with the tomato vegetable sauce.
- Drain pasta and stir into sauce.
- Sprinkle and garnish with Nutritional Yeast and Basil.
Tip: You can replace the courgette with other veggies like aubergine.
Ursula Botha is an actress, accidental academic and health-nut based in Johannesburg. Her YouTube channel features a variety of videos including plant based recipes, fashion and daily vlogs. Since birth Ursula’s had a compromised digestive system, which caused much discomfort and chronic illnesses. Therefore, she pursues a gluten, dairy, sugar-FREE diet in order to live a healthy, vibrant, fun and balanced lifestyle.
Check out her You Tube channel or follow her on Instagram to keep up with this super fun human!