It’s almost the festive season (who are we kidding, we’ve been amped for the holidays since October, right?) I love how my approach to food during the holiday season has evolved. I used to use it as an opportunity to eat ALL OF THE THINGS, but thankfully as I have matured, I know that I prefer to keep my meals simple and fresh but with a little touch of flair to make it feel ‘special’ without having to be indulgent or unhealthy.
This festive pasta salad is perfect for our South African summer festivities. Perfect as a side or full on meal.
Serves 2 (Hungry People)
- ½ Box Happy Earth people Chickpea or Lentil pasta
- 5-10 cherry tomatoes
- ½ head fresh broccoli, cut into small florets
- Handful mange tout (sliced lengthways)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped into discs
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 red apple, diced into cubes (or chunks)
- 2-3 tbsp lightly roasted walnuts (optional although recommended)
- 3 tbsp dried cranberries
- Handful micro herbs (for the festive flair)
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 ripe avo
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey (optiona)
- Salt & Pepper
- Bring the pasta to the boil and let cook until al dente (approx. 5 min) then drain, rinse and set aside until cool.
- Chop all the fresh ingredients and mix together with the cold pasta.
- For the dressing, blend the avo, coconut cream and remaining ingredients in a high speed blender, or with a hand blender until smooth (you can also just mash it up by hand – it will be slightly chunkier but still delicious).
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir through until well combined.
Season as per taste preference, add a dash of extra lemon juice and enjoy with your loved ones.
About the author:
The Honest Grazer started as a passion project in a pursuit to find a simpler, more honest way of eating. With a strong focus on whole, plant-based food and striving to make more sustainable life choices, Linda hopes to discover and inspire others through her experiments in the kitchen.