Written by Taleszia Raubenheimer
This recipe reminds me so much of my childhood. The aromatic aromas escaping from the kitchen from the moment you add the spices. Indian flavours really make me quite nostalgic, especially when I really just miss my grandmothers cooking.
From a young age she taught me about the magic of cooking. I will never forget how she would lovingly grow her own chilli’s in her garden, to roast and grind into a masala. Which would transform into the most delicious curry you’ve ever tasted. For her, cooking was about more than just the act of eating. It was an act of love, the pure joy of nourishing those she cared for.
Whenever, I get behind the stove top I try to remember the way in which she created food. So intuitively. As if she could do it with her eyes closed. I try to pay attention to the spices, how their essence is released when they’re heated. The sound of the onions as they brown, the feeling of cooking a meal for someone to enjoy, the beauty of watching it all come together and the secret ingredient, love. That makes enjoying food that much more memorable.
Butter(nut) Chickpea Pasta
Time: 15 minutes cooking time plus 30 minutes roasting time
High speed blender
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6 ripened tomatoes
- 1 box Happy Earth People Red Lentil pasta
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp curry powder or curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp tamari
- Roast butternut
- Pecan nuts (optional)
- Add chopped butternut to a roasting tray with a dash of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, until cooked and slightly caramelised.
- Add the onion to a non-stick frying pan and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the cumin seeds, paprika, turmeric, curry powder, a good dash of salt and pepper. Stir for a further 2 minutes, until the spices and onions form a paste. Add a little water if the mixture becomes to sticky or dry.
- Add the tomatoes, tops removed, to a high speed blender. Blend to make a fresh tomato puree. Add puree to onion and spice paste. Stir for 2 minutes. Let the tomatoes cook.
- Add Happy Earth People Red Lentil pasta to boiling water, cook for 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Whilst the pasta cooks finish the sauce – pour in the coconut milk together with the tomato paste and peanut butter. Simmer on a medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add more water if it starts to get too thick or dry.
- Stir in the tamari and serve immediately.
- Top with roasted butternut, coriander and pecan nuts.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!