Recipe by: Cape Town Foods
Plant-based or plant-forward eating patterns focus on foods primarily from plants. This includes not only fruits and vegetables, but also nuts, seeds, oils, whole grains, legumes, and beans.
Transitioning to a plant-focused lifestyle can seem really daunting but often the idea of a big lifestyle change is a lot scarier than actually doing it. If you focus on simply embracing more pants in your diet the progression to “plant-based” will feel quite natural and even fun.
This recipe os the perfect example of just how delicious plant-based can be:
Vegan Lentil Pasta
Time: 20 minutes
- 200g pumpkin
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt & pepper
- Vegan sausage (we used the Beyond Beef brand)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup mushrooms
- Olive oil
- Roast the pumpkin in a pre-heated oven at 180° until cooked.
- While cooking, sauté the onion, garlic in some olive oil until cooked.
- Blend the pumpkin, vegetable stock, onion and garlic in a blender – make sure to allow to cool first if your blender isn’t heat-proof.
- Cook the pasta as per the box instructions.
- Once drained, add the pumpkin sauce to the pasta. Sauté the vegan sausage, spinach and mushrooms. Add to the pasta mix, season with salt and pepper and enjoy!
About the authors:
We’re a couple based in Cape Town whose love for food, photography & all things creative resulted in the development of Cape Town Foods.
Between the two of us we have degrees in dietetics, chemistry and biochemistry. Our love for nutrition and science brought about weekends packed with kitchen experimenting & countless recipes being tried and tested. Expressing ourselves through food does not however end after the recipe has been prepared. Styling and food photography has become a huge part of our lives and allowed us a purpose-filled, creative outlet.